Monday, June 10, 2013
Simple & Super Walnut Squares
Our family has been making and consuming these delicious bar cookies for decades. When we bring them to parties we always get requests for the recipe. They are very easy and quick to make. As children we called them Noel Bars and we only made them during Christmas. One of my brothers adores these cookies and starting asking for them year-round. So now we called them Walnut Bars. It is likely you already have these ingredients on hand in your kitchen. Whip up a batch and I dare you to try eating only one.
1 cup walnuts
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1) Use a 9x9 inch baking pan. Put the butter in the pan and place it into a 350 degree oven while you mix the rest of the ingredients.
2) If you are using whole walnuts, chop or break them up into smaller pieces.
3) Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Then stir in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
4) Mix the walnuts into the batter.
5) Pull out the pan and gently swirl the browned butter around in the pan, making sure it is evenly spread out.
6) Carefully drop the batter into the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir the batter in the pan.7) Bake for 20-25 minutes.
8) When the bars have cooled cut them into squares, turn them over and dust with a little confectioners' sugar.
This recipe can be baked in a smaller 8x8 in pan for thicker bars.